Silicone rubber is an elastomer material self-possessed of silicone itself a polymer containing silicon together with carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Silicone rubbers are extensively used in industry and there are multiple formulations.
Silicone rubbers are often one- or two-part polymers and it may contain fillers to improve properties or reduce cost. Due to its properties and its ease of manufacturing and shaping, silicone rubber can be found in a wide variety of products including:
- Fluid Transfer Applications
- Gasket & Sealing Applications
- Voltage Line Insulators
- Automotive Applications
- Cooking, Baking, And Food Storage Products
- Apparel Such as Undergarments, Sportswear, And Footwear
- Electronics, Medical Devices, And Implants
Silicone rubber can be extruded further once it is mixed and coloured into tubes, strips, solid cord or custom profiles according to the shape & size specifications of the customer. A silicone cord can be joined to make O-rings and extruded profiles can also be joined to make seals.
Silicone Rubber Tubing and Different Applications –
Silicone Tubing is a commodity mass-produced from silicone rubber. These tubes are used extensively in an array of industries including Food & Beverage, Automotive, Electronics, Telecommunications, Appliances, Chemical, Medical, Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology sector. Silicone Rubber tubing is available in many distinct grades and configuration hence basically classified into three groups:
- Medical / Food Grade (Platinum Cured Silicone Tubing)
- High Pressure
- General Purpose
Properties of Silicone Tubes:
- They are hydrophobic.
- They are highly flexible
- They are reusable after repeated sterilization.
- Translucent in color.
- The odorless, tasteless and inert.
- The tubes are non-toxic and available in FDA grade for use in the food industry.
- They are non-reactive to body fluids and tissues.
- They can resist high levels of temperature ranging between -45 C to + 225 C
- They have exceptional weathering properties and resist UV, ozone, gases, moisture, and extreme temperatures.
Classification of Silicone Rubber Tubes
1. General Purpose Tubes
These tubes are used for general purposes which do not require a high range of purity of the compound. These are mostly used in many domestic appliances and workshops or hobby applications because of their excellent flexibility.
2. Medical/Food Grade Tubes
They are made in a manner so that they do not react with any medical or food material. They are treated in ordinary autoclaves to make them fit for the submission in which they come in close contact with the food ingredients, body tissues, and fluids or sensitive drugs.
In this certain type of tubing, the mass-produced silicone tubes are fully tasteless, odorless and non-toxic with a special property that does not support bacterial growth. The purity of medical-grade is achieved by the process called platinum curing which is done before turning the rubber compound into or tubes.
3. High-Pressure Tubes
They are made by strengthening their composition with wire or polyester braids which combats expansion and flattening. These tubes are generally used when then the tubes are in straight contact with pressurized gases or suction is showed. However, sharp-edged clamps and fitting should be evaded near the tubes as they have short tensile strength and struggle to steam which may cause extreme wear and tear.
High levels of purity are maintained due to its exclusive application in the biochemical industry. The other properties are their tendency to regain their original shape, good resistance to temperature and aging.
Uses of Silicone Tubes in The Industrial Sector
Silicone has multiple usages in the industrial sector because of its excellent properties and types which provide a very wide area for functioning. Some of these uses are:
- Architectural and window seals
- High voltage insulation
- Medical equipment’s seals and tubes
- Electrical connectors seal and sheathe
- Electrical and food processing equipment seals and washers
- Aerospace and military fluid conveyance
- Outdoor electrical enclosures
- Water purification tubes
- Dairy fluid handling tubes
- Small appliance heater tubes
- Optical surgery drains
- Composite thermoforming
Silicone Rubber Cord and Key Factors
It can handle extreme temperatures -40°C to +225°C. It has good electrical resistance and insulation properties. Popular applications for Silicone solid cord include
- Use as a silicone gasket in submissions that require more sealing properties in strict environments. Silicone Cord often is serving as a rubber gasket for applications that demand exceptional sealing properties.
- The silicone cord can be used for exposed channels or grooves on machined Parts.
- The VMQ cord can also be used to plug threaded and non-threaded holes. These silicone cords can be complete in coil form, cut to length or merged into O-Rings with silicone glue.
For easy identification, they can cut to size the silicon cord and color code it. Solid silicone cord product line is a great solution for sealing off exposed semi-circular cut-outs on machined parts.
Adaptable and easy to cut to length, solid silicone cord is a boundless product to have for short runs. Silicone does not perform well however, when subject to applications involving abrasion and should not be used with acids, ketones or petrochemicals.
Silicone Rubber Cord Features
Range of silicone cord can be used with complete safety in food applications, whether the food is dry, aqueous or fatty.
- Ozone, UV and weather-resistant
- Shore A-rated hardness from 30 – 80 Durometer
- Wide temperature ranges from 230°C to -60°C
- FDA grade for use in food applications
- Safe for use with water-based applications
- Available in diameters of 0.5mm to 50mm
- Tight Tolerance as per your requirements
- Wide variety of colors available
Silicone tubing finds extensive application in various industries and has gained tremendous appreciation in the market for their host of qualitative features. Silicone rubber cords have gained huge appreciation in the market for their host of qualitative features such as durability, sturdiness and reliable performance.
Silicone is a non-toxic polymer generally made from silica, it can resist heating and cold temperature without escape or off-gassing, dangerous chemicals. Silicone rubbers are extensively used in industry and there are many constructions.
Accurate Rubber Corporation is leading manufacturer & supplier of, extruded Silicone Rubber, silicone tubing and silicone cord. Feel free to contact them if you have any questions or need more information about silicone rubber tubing or silicone rubber cord.